I was born in Wellington, New Zealand, raised up and down the country and am now living in the beautiful historic city of Dunedin, Otago, with my husband, son and one large tabby cat named Colin.
I am hugely sentimental about the old way of life, when food was homegrown and clothes were handmade and mended. Kids climbed trees and did stunts on their bicycles (some of us still have the scars to prove it!).
I adore old wooden houses with quirky old sheds and am often envious of an abundant lemon tree. I'm also a gardener attempting to create a little eco system using permaculture in my back yard.
As New Zealanders we really do have a stunning country with extraordinary wildlife.
We are at home in the landscape and we protect our creatures because they are an integral part of who we are.
AWARDS: - Winner of the Molly & John Pledger Award, June 2017
- Merit Prize awarded in Edinburgh Realty Art Awards, August 2019
To read an interview with Gabby Mckenzie by Caroline Davies of Down In Edin Magazine click HERE.
- 16th Anniversary Group Show, Gallery De Novo, Dunedin, July 2021.
- Waimumu Arts Exhibition, Gore, May 2021.
- Eden - Wild Dunedin NZ Festival of Nature, Gallery De Novo, April 2021.
- Craigs Aspiring Art Prize, Wanaka, January 2021.
- Around Christmas Exhibition, Gallery De Novo, Dunedin, December 2020.
- Postcards From The Other Side, Gallery De Novo, Dunedin, June 2020.
- Craigs Aspiring Art Prize, Wanaka, January 2020.
- Around Christmas Exhibition, Gallery De Novo, Dunedin, December 2019.
- Edinburgh Realty Premier Art Awards, August 2019.
* Recipient of Merit Award*
- The Cleveland National Art Awards, May 2019.
- St Leonards Annual Art Exhibition, April 2019.
- Edinburgh Realty Premier Art Awards, August 2018.
- Riversdale Arts 45th Annual Mixed Media Exhibition, July 2018.
- Hope And Sons Art Awards, April 2018
- St Leonards Annual Art Exhibition, March 2018.
- Craigs Aspiring Art Prize, Wanaka, January 2018.
- Queenstown Arts Centre Art Awards, November 2017.
- The Dunedin Art Show, September 2017.
- Edinburgh Realty Premier Art Awards, August 2017.
- Otago Art Society 142nd Annual Exhibition, June 2017.
*Recipient of Molly & John Pledger Award*
- St Leonards Annual Art Exhibition, March 2017.
- Down In Edin Magazine, Issue 16, March 2019.
- Otago Museum: "Our Women: 125 of Dunedin’s Extra-ordinary Women" exhibition, September 2018.
(Article about the exhibition HERE).
- The New Zealand Artist Magazine, Series 5, Volume 5, Issue No. 29, July August 2018.
- Landfall Online Journal exhibition, May 2018. (Link to Landfall article HERE).